Sun sets on Gold Coast Congress

February 12, 2025

In its final year, the Gold Coast Congress achieved attendance levels not seen since 2020, still the congress’ biggest year on record.

It was a fitting and fantastic finale, according to Congress Manager from the Queensland Bridge Association (QBA), Kim Ellaway. Kim and her team of over 80 volunteer staff were forced to cap entry numbers for some events, including the highly popular novice and restricted events.

“Past congress convenor Therese Tully introduced restricted, novice and intermediate events, and they have been extremely successful,” says Kim.

“Therese always believed in giving chocolates to the rookies and providing them with breaks between matches. Eight days is a lot of bridge and it showed. You could see the tiredness in people’s faces towards the end of the week.”

Smaller venue outside of GC likely

According to Kim, the 2025 congress was the last time people will experience it at the Convention Centre.

The Centre has been the only venue on the Gold Coast large enough to accommodate the congress. Last year, the QBA learned the venue would no longer be available at the time of year the congress is run.

Kim and her team canvassed the Carrara Sports Centre as a potential alternative. A survey of players found little interest, as there are no hotels in the area and players would have to travel 30 mins one way to get there.

When asked about Brisbane options, Kim is lukewarm on the idea of moving the congress to the city. She says surveys in the past have shown limited appetite, but she remains open to the idea.

“We are looking for an alternative for 2027, but it is very likely it won’t be the Gold Coast,” Kim says.

“Whatever the GC congress does in the future, it will have to be much smaller,” Kim says.

The ABF is currently exploring other options with the Convention Centre. Kim says the ABF will be surveying people soon for input and feedback. Keep an eye out for that.

Farewell to over 60 years of history

The congress has been held at the Gold Coast since 1962. Back then, it was at the Chevron Hotel before it closed for renovations in the 1989 and the Congress moved to the ANA Hotel.

As the congress continued to expand in size and reputation in Australia and internationally, the QBA sought more space and added the Gold Coast International Hotel to the venue list. Open teams would play across both hotels in the qualifying rounds before coming together at the ANA Hotel for the finals.

But the setup would only work for so long. In 2006, the QBA found themselves looking for more space in response to growing player demand. An emotional decision was made move to the Gold Coast Convention Centre.

Events for novices, intermediates and rookies were added between 2008-13, and events for 0-50 MPs and 0-500 MPs joined the events list a few years later.

New Gold Point event

Where one window closes, another opens. The Central West Festival, which launched in 2024, is a new and exciting National Gold Point event. Held over the back of the Great Dividing Range in Orange in April, it is a very different experience from the sandy beaches of the Gold Coast, but by all reports a very enjoyable one.

CWF 2025 is already booked out, but players can join a waiting list here (look for Jenny King’s contact details above the program table).

You may also like to read:

August Newsletter

The July issue of the Bridging NSW newsletter is here. Key features this month, 'Gold in Goa' - the amazing results from the Asia Cup in India, including a gold medal in the Seniors’ Team, featuring four players from NSW and we introduce the
talented players representing NSW at the Australian National Championship. They share memorable moments, tips for players and more.

Read More

July newsletter

The July issue of the Bridging NSW newsletter is here. Key features this month, 'Gold in Goa' - the amazing results from the Asia Cup in India, including a gold medal in the Seniors’ Team, featuring four players from NSW and we introduce the
talented players representing NSW at the Australian National Championship. They share memorable moments, tips for players and more.

Read More

Autumn another record breaking OPL

The OPL Autumn season wrapped up on Monday, 1 June after another terrific season, enjoying record participation for the third straight season. 172 players joined the league in Autumn, including 28 from Victoria, 10 from Queensland as well as entrants from South Australia, Western Australia…

Read More

A financial update from the Bridge NSW Board

Following the recent AGM and the publication of the 2025 Annual Report, the Board is pleased to provide an update on the financial health of Bridge NSW as we progress through our second full year of operation. When Bridge NSW was established in mid-2024, our…

Read More

June newsletter

The June issue of the Bridging NSW newsletter is here. Key features this month: An interview with the incomparable John McIlrath, who shares his lifelong bridge journey as a player, club owner, teacher, national director, and dedicated volunteer. A successful Presidents’ Day on the NSW…

Read More

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This